Inspiration for Justice

Monday, May 14, 2012




The real baby is gorgeous, huh? :) I love his cinnamon-colored skin and black hair. You all know I LOVE black hair! It is my favorite. The darker the better for me. I have no idea why some artists in the reborn doll community insist that real ethnic babies don't have black hair??? That is insane! Of course "they" do. I had a head full of black hair when I was born. I know because my mom cut a huge lock of my hair, and taped it inside my baby book. It is jet black and stick straight!  Oh and "they" have veins too, lol! That's another little "ethnic baby rumor" circulating the reborn doll community. Ridiculous! *rolling eyes* Well at least I am here to set the record straight. :)

Anyway, wow, I got totally off subject. Not surprising for a chatterbox like myself. ;) hehehe

I have had this real baby's photo for a very long time...like maybe three years? I'd forgotten just how much I loved sleeping reborn babies, and when I got my hands on the Cianne kit, I knew she'd be the one to use for this particular reference photo. I glanced at the photo during the beginning stages of Justice's creation, but knew I only wanted to copy the real baby's perimeter coloring and inner eye coloring. I freestyled the rest and I was perfectly fine with that. I knew I had to paint thicker brows and stronger t-zone coloring for the light to play with.  My daughter's t-zone is colored like Justice's, so I used a baby photo of my daughter for the t-zone.  I would like to experiment with some lighter flesh tones in the near future for visual texture on the forehead. All in good time! Growing as an artist doesn't happen overnight although I wish it did. Practice, practice, practice. ;) Thanks for reading!

 

Archive

 

Brooke Nicole - Photographer + Doll Artist | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | 2002-2015 Brooke Nicole