Product Review: Winsor & Newton Gloss Varnish

Monday, November 1, 2010

Unfortunately, the air dry gloss varnish made by Genesis stopped working for me. I began using it in 2005 for nails, lips, and eyes. I never had a problem with it until earlier this year when it turned sticky on three or more occasions, prompting me to throw it away. Luckily, I was able to remove the sticky gloss from my vinyl parts with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I spoke to several other artists who had similar experiences with Genesis' air dry gloss. We suspect Genesis changed the formula at some point.



I decided to try Winsor & Newton's Artisan Water Mixable Oil Gloss Varnish and so far, I love it! It is easy to apply and has a perfect, smooth glossy finish. It is definitely not sticky or gummy at all. It is an air dry formula, but it takes about 24 hours to dry completely, which is a long time compared to Genesis' air dry gloss which dries within minutes. Drying time aside, this is a great alternative to Genesis' air dry gloss varnish for artists looking to switch.

Pro: Smooth, glossy finish. Not gummy or sticky.
Con: Lengthy drying time (24 hours)
Price: $5 - $10 for a 75ml bottle
Where to purchase: Dick Blick
Would I purchase this product again: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Brooke Nicole - Photographer + Doll Artist | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | 2002-2015 Brooke Nicole